Travel Day: Hudson, WI to Mount Horeb, WI

Posted by on July 1, 2018

Friday night’s boondocking experience did not go as planned.  We went to bed about 8:30 pm and were quite comfy until the generator/air conditioner turned off about 1:15 am.  Michael got up and restarted the generator and the ac came back on but turned off about 10 or 15 minutes.  Michael got up again and restarted everything but, once again, it only ran a few minutes and then shut off.  At that point we just left it off and drifted back to sleep for a while before it got too warm.

We got up about 3:30 am and closed everything up and got in the truck and headed out.  First stop was about 10 minutes down the road at a Flying J to fuel up.  Michael also grabbed a pastry as he was starving.

THIS is why I always make reservations.  We always know we have a place to stay and don’t have to worry about everything being full and not having a place to pull in and plug in at night.  With the crazy heat everyone across the country experienced…boondocking was not the way to go.  (By the time I tried to make reservations at a campground…everything was booked.

You can be sure that me flying by the seat of my pants in the future…will not happen.  LOL  The plus??  I got to hug my grandbabies several hours earlier than originally planned!

Early early morning breakfast stop

We stopped about 4:45 am at a Denny’s in Wilson, Wisconsin for some ‘real’ breakfast.  We both got the $5.99 special (2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 pancakes and hashbrowns).  Not a bad deal and it was a much better breakfast than we’ve had for a while.  I think we’re both ready for a good home-cooked meal.  LOL

We hung out for about an hour before we hit the road.  With only 217 miles to drive, most of which was down I-94 we were ready to be done driving for a few days.

Rather than go straight to Zack and Kelsea’s I had Michael drop me off at Dan and Amanda’s in Verona so that I could hitch a ride to Ben and Cameron’s T-ball game at 10:00 am.  Michael took the coach over to Zack’s and got it parked and set up and then relaxed while watching the NASCAR Xfinity race as we had a car in it!

Spencer and my boys

PTB sponsored Spencer Boyd for three races (June 30, July 6 & July 13).  Zack and Dan went to the race at Chicagoland Speedway yesterday and were in the pit before, during and after the race.  They met with Spencer, learned lots of stuff, got to wear headphones so they could hear what was going on, rubbed elbows with the crew and Dan even was able to hand a tire to the crew during a ‘pit stop’.  They had a blast and we at home had a good time seeing all the pictures the boys sent.  (Michael and I are going to the July 13th race at the Kentucky Speedway)

Cameron and Ben…our T-ballers

So while the boys were busy…the girls spent time with the babies.  It was hotter than blazes during T-ball but I’m glad I was able to go and see Ben and Cameron practice.  Cam turned 5 in April and Ben will be 5 in August but you’d never know they were that close in age as there is a BIG difference in size!

I think this ‘mushroom’ was there favorite as they always gravitated back to it.

After T-ball we all went over to Dan and Amanda’s house and had a quick lunch before the eight of us went to a local Splash park.  The kids had a BLAST!  I splashed a bit too but had WAY more fun watching the five of them flit about….here…there…everywhere!

My princesses

But…before hitting the splash pad….we stopped at the park and the littles ran (and swung) off some energy!  Wow….they really have a lot of energy even when it’s hot hot hot!

Then it was back home to wind down a bit….stopping at the grocery store first to pick up something for dinner.  We decided on some cheddarwurst and deli salads.  Amanda and her three kiddos joined us for dinner too.

It was a long day, but even longer for Michael who drove over to Dan’s about 9:15 pm to pick Zack up when the two of them got home from Chicago.  By the time Michael got back home…I was out cold.

We are here for just 3 nights before we head to Elkhart, Indiana where we’ll be basically until September 1st.



We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??