Alex Time

Posted by on May 3, 2017

April 28 – May 2

Friday it was Alex’s turn to come and stay with Nana and Papaw.  We ate dinner with Alex’s family, trying a new place – Parkway Family Restaurant – and it wasn’t bad.  A diner type of place.  Portions were large and the food was good.  The salad bar was really inviting.  It seemed that most diners got the fish fry so it must be pretty good but none of us got fish this week.

Three Peas in a Pod (bed)??

Back at home Alex requested watermelon for breakfast and watched a couple of episodes of ‘Bubble Guppies’ before we retired for the night.  He started out on the couch but after just a few minutes decided he’d rather sleep with Nana and Papaw.  We spent the night like ‘Three Peas in a Pod’ and when we got up in the morning Alex had his watermelon…four bowls of it!

Me and Sue..friends since freshman year of high school

Saturday afternoon we met a friend of mine from high school for ‘lupper’ in DeForest.  Sue has a seasonal trailer that she opened for the first time this year this weekend and Deforest was a midway point between us.  We chose the ‘Pinecone Restaurant‘ as it had good reviews and fairly wide variety of offerings.

We had a nice visit, enjoyed our meals and eyed up their bakery counter which was extensive but before long it was time to go our separate ways.  Hopefully, next summer we’ll be able to get together and spend a little more time together.

Non-Fried Fried Ice Cream!

We spent that evening with Dan and Amanda…played a game of Cranium (Girl Power for the win!) and I made some Faux Fried Ice Cream.  Our friend, Stella, made the tasty dish for us a few summers ago when we were camping together at Ft. McCoy.  It’s tasty, easy and really reminds you of eating Mexican Fried Ice Cream!

Not using the shower so we filled it up with boxes!

Sunday was pretty much spent finishing up getting things packed up so that the kitchen slide, pantry, off-door slide, underneath the bed and the bedroom closet are empty in preparation for work to be done on the coach while it’s at the Heartland factory.

It was gloomy, rainy and windy all day (as it had been for several days before) so it worked out well to get things done inside. When we weren’t packing we watched the 2nd installment of the Lord of the Rings movies.  We have the trilogy and plan to finally get it watched so that we can put it up for sale at Amanda’s garage sale the end of this week.

We don’t see them much and the pretty much stay to themselves.

The sun FINALLY came out Monday morning and what a welcome sight it was!   However, it didn’t stay out.  We had a bit of a respite that morning, giving us a chance to get a couple of things that we’d been wanting to do in the basement.  But…then in the afternoon it started raining again and rained most of the afternoon and evening.  The rain is getting a bit old now…it’s been raining for pretty close to a week.

We have several homeless men that rent sites and put up small tents right behind the bathroom and I’m sure they were happy to see the sun as well.  They had to be getting water-logged.

I’ve been battling a bit of a cold for the past 5 days or so…cough and congestion.  But mostly a dumb cough…that produces nothing and starts with a bit of a tickle.  Since it’s not a productive cough I see no reason for it and it’s time to be gone.  It’s annoying enough that it’s now given me a bit of a sore throat too!  Ugh!  And if that wasn’t enough…now Michael is coughing too!

Our two units…side by side

Tuesday was storage room move in day.  Yippee! Not.  What a lot of work.  It’s hard to believe how much crap is contained in one bedroom closet, the three drawers under the bed, the island, the pantry, the cabinet above our theater seats and the kitchen/entertainment center slides!

Because we are renting a trailer to haul the stuff to Elkhart (where the coach will be) when we come back from Utah we got a free months rent on a storage unit and because there was a goof up on the 5×10 we were originally given we ended up with 2-5×5 units which worked out just fine.  We could probably have stuffed it all into one 5×5 unit but it would have been filled to the brim.

We got it all (with the exception of a couple of boxes) moved into the 2 units in three trips but boy were we pooped by the time the last few items went in.  Our colds kicked in and we just had little energy left.  But…we got it done!

Not huge…but a decent amount of offerings

We took a break for lunch after the second load at World Buffet which is just down the road from the campground.  It was a place we’d never been to and it turned out to be fairly good.  I usually judge a Chinese place by there Hot & Sour Soup and theirs passed the test…2 cups worth.  Tasted so good on a gloomy, cold day and soothed my throat.  I’d go there again.


We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??