Home Just in Time for a Colonoscopy!

Posted by on November 19, 2016

Tuesday 11/15

On the way to the airport we stopped at Jimmy John’s to pick up sandwiches for the flight.  Our first flight (from Madison to Detroit) was at 12:30 pm so we left home about 10:00 am as we like to be at the airport a couple of hours before our flight leaves.

We had to change terminals when we arrived in Detroit but the airport isn’t real big so it wasn’t a crazy far walk between gates.  We had about 15 minutes once we arrived before we boarded our flight to San Antonio.

2ps flying high

2ps flying high

Both flights went smoothly.  We didn’t have much of a wait for our luggage to arrive in baggage claim and we pretty much walked right out of the baggage claim area and onto the shuttle bus that took us to the rental car place.

We rented from EZ Rental Car this time as Enterprise didn’t have any cars and this was fairly inexpensive.  I’m not sure we’d go with them again or not.  For being ‘easy’ it took longer than it should have to get a car considering we were the only people there.  Picking up the car at Enterprise took less than 5 minutes while EZ Rental took closer to 15 minutes.

It was close to 7:00 pm by the time we left the rental car place and we to Ft. Sam with the idea of grabbing some dinner at the food court, on post, near the FamCamp.  The food court is near where all the young medics stay while they go through AIT (Advanced Individual Training).

We arrived just at the time that they were released for dinner!  Yikes…talk about young soldiers EVERYWHERE.  We got in line at Taco Bell and when we finally arrived at the counter we were told there was a 30-45 minute wait….scratch that.  The lines at 4 of the other eateries were super long but Dominoes wasn’t crazy at all so we went there and found that a pizza would be about 15 minutes…that we could do.  By the time we got our pizza the place was clearing out and by the time we finished it was nearly empty.

After a long travel day we arrived home about 8:00 pm.  We unloaded the car and decided to wait til morning to unpack.  We spent the remainder of the evening relaxing before calling it a day.

Wednesday 11/16

The morning that we left for Wisconsin, Go RV came and removed our leaking gray tank so that they could have it repaired while we were gone.  They came back this morning at 8:30 to reinstall the repaired tank and were gone about 10:30.  Now to wait and see if this fix holds.

Shortly after Go RV left we headed out as we head several errands to run:  return rental car, lunch (no food in the house after 2 weeks of being gone), pick up end table tops, Walgreens (soda), Walmart (colon prep prescription fill) and food shopping at the Commissary.

Check out that awesome end table...designed by my favorite Mikey!

Check out that awesome end table…designed by my favorite Mikey!

The solid surface end table tops were the last item to make our living room transformation complete.  After 5+ years of living with no end tables in the living room we now have 2 awesome end tables with storage space (can’t every get enough!) beneath each of them.

Thursday 11/17

Since I was scheduled for my first colonoscopy Friday morning I spent the day prepping my poor colon for the procedure.  The morning started with a 10 ounce bottle of magnesium citrate….ugh…talk about nasty….and after about 3 hours things started ‘moving’.

Had to drink two of these containers

Had to drink two of these containers

I was given Movi-Prep to help clean out my colon.  It’s mixed with 2 quarts of water (twice) and has to be drank every 15 for an hour until it’s gone (twice).  I was told to drink the concoction at 6:00 pm and 10:00 pm but after consulting with the pharmacist I decided to drink at 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm so that I might be able to get a bit more sleep since I had to be at the clinic by 5:30 am the following morning.

While I did my prepping, Michael did a few chores of his own.  One of which was to return the suitcases to their home behind the ‘bulkhead’ wall.  While he was doing that he also pulled out some items we’ll need for gate guarding and did some organizing.

Friday 11/18

We arrived at the clinic about 5:15 am.  I got checked in right away and then was taken to the back where I filled out some paperwork and answered some questions.  Once I was given a bed Michael came back and waited with me until they took me back.  We had a bit of a wait but once they took me back to the procedure room things went fast!

I'm baaaaccck!

I’m baaaaccck!

The last time I looked at the clock (before falling asleep) it was 7:13 am, I woke up in recovering at 7:30 am (Michael came back just minutes later) and we were walking out to the truck at 8:00 am.  Whew!  What a whirlwind!

As for the results of the colonoscopy…no polyps, everything looked good!  I have a few diverticuli (pockets in the lining of the colon) which I guess is normal as you age and some internal hemorrhoids which I know I developed during my first pregnancy (Thanks, Zack!).   The best news of all?  I don’t have to go back for TEN years!!



Just a few blocks from the clinic is Lulu’s Bakery & Cafe.  We’ve been there in the past to partake of their huge 3 pound cinnamon roll but today we were just looking for food to fill our tummies.  Breakfast was good but nothing spectacular.

Once back home we both headed to bed for a nap.  We ended up sleeping for about an hour and a half though I think we both probably could have slept longer but that’s when we woke up so we got up.  This way there was no chance of ruining our chances of a good nights sleep that night.

We spoke with Shawn from Gate Guard Services to let him know that we’re back in the area and will be ready for work starting next Saturday, November 25th.  He doesn’t have any work right now but we’ll go down and wait…just as we have in the past.

Our site here at the FamCamp is paid until Friday, November 24th and Michael now has an appointment at 9:00 am that day so we checked with the office to see if we could extend our stay by one day.  Baker (who works in the office) originally said we’d have to move for that night but after some finagling of sites she was able to make it so that we didn’t have to move after all…she’s pretty awesome!



We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??