One Day is NOT Enough Time in San Antonio!

Posted by on April 18, 2016

My internal gate guard clock went off at 5:00 am but I fought it until 5:30 am when I finally decided I might as well get up and get a few things done as well as enjoy some quiet time.

We’d gotten a call on Friday, from the Audie Murphy VA Hospital, asking Michel to come in Monday morning for blood work for his Tuesday morning appointment. So rather than getting to have a quiet relaxing morning shortly after Michael got up we were out the door and headed down the road…about 8:00 am.

Michael’s blood draw went pretty quickly.  And since we didn’t have to search for a parking spot because we opted to use the free valet parking that is offered at the VA Hospital we were soon searching for a place to grab some breakfast.

Magnolia Pancake Haus

Magnolia Pancake Haus

We chose the nearby Magnolia Pancake Haus which had some pretty awesome reviews.  The place was pretty busy for a Monday at 9:30 am but we were seated quickly.  Michael ordered 2 eggs, bacon, hash browns and a pancake while I tried one of the specials – crab cake benedict with a side of hash browns.  Michael really enjoyed his meal and I liked mine but I would probably go with the regular eggs benedict next time as the crab cake was a bit too rich for my liking.

Breakfast for 2

Breakfast for 2

After breakfast we headed back over to ‘our’ side of town and stopped at Walmart to pick up a few household items we needed:  garbage bags, steamer bags, DEF, ArmorAll…that kind of stuff.

As soon as we finished at Walmart it was time to head southwest again so that I could make my 1:00 pm doctor appointment.  More of just a medicine refill appointment than anything, the appointment went pretty quickly.  He was happy with my blood pressure but noted that my blood sugar was elevated the last time I was in (could have been something I ate before the appointment) and that, of course, I really need to lose some weight.  He’ll let me know what my blood sugar levels are like after he gets the results back from today’s blood draw.  With my family history of later-in-life diabetes onset it’s more of a question as to ‘when’, then ‘if’.  I In short…I really need to make a few lifestyle changes.  Not his words….mine.

By the time we finished up at the doctor’s office we decided to head up to The Quarry to grab a late lunch/early supper at California Pizza Kitchen.  I’ve had a gift card for the place sitting in my wallet for what seems like ever and it was the perfect time to get rid of it!

Lupper for 2

Lupper for 2

We both ordered one of the lunch combos and then shared each meal.  Michael ordered a 7 inch sausage & pepperoni pizza with a Caesar salad and I went with a 1/2 sandwich (California Club:  turkey, bacon & avocado) with a cup of baked potato soup.  Sharing our meals was a great way to get a taste of everything.  Everything was very good except we both agreed that the salad needed a bit more dressing as it was pretty blah.

Our last stop of the day was at Lowe’s to pick up a couple of items for a couple of projects Michael has in mind…nothing earth shattering…just easy peasy stuff.

While we were at both Walmart & Lowes we noticed buckets scattered all of the floor catching rainwater.  Many of Wal-Mart’s skylights had big holes in them with a tarp over nearly every skylight in the store.  After talking with an employee at Lowes I found out that they have 700+ holes in the roof due to a hailstorm this past Saturday (the day before we got here).  What a shame.

We’ve been very lucky with storms as we haven’t been hit by anything other than some rain and a little thunder but nothing like what had been predicted.  We still have storms predicted for Tuesday & Wednesday as we travel northeast but just thunderstorms…not the ‘strong’ storms that were predicted for while we were here in San Antonio. We’ll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Once back at home (after 8 hours of errands and appointments!) Michael got busy flushing the tanks and disconnecting and stowing various hoses.  While I prepped things for lunch at Kelly’s Kitchen tomorrow and buttoned things up inside.

Tomorrow morning we head to Canton, Texas but first Michael has his doctor appointment.  We’ll pull the coach to the appointment and leave right from there.


We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??