Travel Day: Nordheim, TX To La Marque, TX

Posted by on May 17, 2015

We slept in until 7:00 this morning and it felt GOOD!  We started the day off slowly…just the way we like it.  We planned on pulling out about 10:00 am so that gave us plenty of time to do the few things we had left to do in order to pull out on time.

Nest with what we thought was just a feather...the darker spot is the actual bird!

Nest with what we thought was just a feather…the darker spot is the actual bird!

We only had 191 miles to travel today so there was no need to rush.  Thank goodness!

Interestingly, when Michael opened up the electric door on the coach to roll in the power cord he found that a bird had some how gotten in there and built a nest!  We could see a feather left in there but when Michael went to remove the nest it wasn’t just a feather…it was an entire bird!  The bird flew further into the cord reel compartment so he wasn’t able to get it out…but I think he went down and out somehow.

Fred's just chillin' on the patio...

Fred’s just chillin’ on the patio…

While Michael was doing his outside work he found that Fred was lying on the next door neighbors camp mat!  The little stinker!  The guys in the other campers (oil field workers) are from the Corpus Christi and went home for the weekend so Fred was just chillin’.

By the time we pulled out Fred moved to the back of one of the campers...a nice shady spot.

By the time we pulled out Fred moved to the back of one of the campers…a nice shady spot.

He’s still hobbling pretty good.  We gave him some food and water and are pretty sure that when the guys come back from days off they’ll take care of him.  We left our card on their door and asked them to call us.  We’ll explain what happened to Fred and let them know that they can take him to the rig as the guys there are planning to make Ginger a ‘rig dog’, which means she’ll move with them wherever they go and she be well taken care of and loved.

We pulled out of the ‘park’ just a few minutes after 10:00 but before going far we stopped on the road to do a light check.  I went out to the back of the coach while Michael stayed in the truck and turned on the various lights (turn signals, hazards and brakes) to be sure everything was working.  They weren’t working so Michael got out of the truck adjust the cord a little so that it was making better contact.

A little diamond plate will cover that right up!  :-)

A little diamond plate will cover that right up! 🙂

In order reach the plug in you need to put down the tailgate in order to reach the plug in.  Later on when we made a brief stop at a rest area we found out that Michael had forgotten to put the tail gate back up…ugh.  We now have a nice big rip in the generator door where the tailgate made contact when we made our first turn in Nordheim.  What would this adventure be if there weren’t a few hiccups along the way??

Kelly's Kitchen, Bay City, Texas

Kelly’s Kitchen, Bay City, Texas

We made a stop in Bay City in the St. Robert’s Catholic Church parking lot (after services) and had a nice lunch at Kelly’s Kitchen.  Nothing fancy today…just ham sandwiches with cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayo.  We relaxed for about 45 minutes before we were back on the road again.

It rained off and on for most of the trip…but nothing bad enough to make us pull over so we made decent time and got to the Oasis RV Park in La Marque shortly after 3:00 pm.

The park is attached to a Ron Hoover RV Dealership so there are lots of brand new RVs (many of them Heartlands) through out the park on display.  We’ll be doing some browsing while we’re here I’m sure.

We last saw Jay and Stella  last August when we both stay at the rv Park at Ft. McCoy.

We last saw Jay and Stella last August when we both stay at the rv Park at Ft. McCoy.

We had a wonderful surprise when our friends Jay & Stella popped over to give us a warm welcome.  They’re staying about 10 miles away so we’re hoping to spend a little time with them early this week before they head out on Wednesday for a rally in Boerne.

We visited for a little while and then they left to go home for a short while before they came back to get us to take us to dinner.

Oasis RV Park - Site 114

Oasis RV Park – Site 114

While they were gone we finished getting everything hooked up (water, sewer, satellite, etc).  Satellite came in without Michael having to make any adjustments at all and the internet has a great signal!

We’ll be parked here until June 2nd when started our trek northward.  The coach will stay parked here for the week that we’re on our cruise and then we’ll have 2 nights here before we head out.

Picking their poison...

Picking their poison…

Jay and Stella came back about 5:30 to pick us up to take us out for dinner.  Michael was craving BBQ so they took us to a place they were familiar with…Spring Creek BBQ.  Michael and I both ordered the ribs and brisket and then they have sides of bbq beans, green beans, macaroni & cheese, corn on the cob, cole slaw and potato salad which are ‘help yourself’ to as much as you want…and on top of that some really yummy warm dinner rolls.

Everything was very good…the brisket was super-duper tender, bbq sauce was tasty and the ribs were very flavorful.  Jay & Stella have never steered us wrong yet!

After dinner Jay acted as our chauffeur and tour driver…taking us by many of the places in the area that have meaning to them as they are originally from the area.  Jay is a retired police officer from Dickinson so it was very interesting to see the home that they lived in for 25 years, where the police department was that he worked at, the bank that Stella worked at etc.

Bright lights, big city?  Nope...oil refineries...and this isn't even half of it!

Bright lights, big city? Nope…oil refineries…and this isn’t even half of it!

We drove down what they like to call ‘refinery row’…oh my…the massive oil refinery’s in Texas City are something to see.  At night with all the lights on and from a distance it looks just like a large city with their big sky scrapers.  It’s a pretty impressive site.

Back in 1947, there were 2 ships anchored in the bay and they were loaded with fertilizer…somehow the fertilizer ignited causing massive explosions that triggered even more explosions when fires were started on nearby ships.

Dark...but this is the anchor the flew through the air with the greatest of ease!

Dark…but this is the anchor the flew through the air with the greatest of ease!

One of the ships, the USS Grandcamp, is where the disaster started when a fire onboard detonated the 2300 tons of ammonium nitrate onboard.  The explosion was so powerful that one of the anchors from the ship was thrown 1.62 miles away and ended up in a 10 foot crater….mind you the anchor weighed 3200 pounds!

They even took us by one of their daughter’s homes…their daughter, Kim, and grandson, Cam, were outside so we even got a chance to meet and chat with them for a while.

Seeing as we met one grandson we decided to drop by their older grandsons place of work and get a chance to meet him too.  Tyler works at Baskin Robins so it was a double win, when we all got a scoop of ice cream too!

Jay and Stella dropped us back off at home about 9:30 and we made plans to get together again tomorrow after Jay’s doctor’s appointment so that they can show us some more of the area!

A great first day of vacation!

One Response to Travel Day: Nordheim, TX To La Marque, TX

We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??