War Zone Road & Closing Time

Posted by on December 3, 2014
  • Had a few sand trucks approach the gate a little after 5:30 am this morning only to find out that it was locked and not open again until 9:00 am.  They just backed up, pulled to the side of the road and settled in to wait for the gate to open.
  • When I opened up the gate at 9:00 am I had a crazy rush of sand trucks going out, sand trucks coming in and the frac crew shift change – coming in and going out…plus a few other companies that are working 9:00 to 9:00 because of the gates being closed.
  • I left home at 10:00 am headed toward Pleasanton – 50 miles north.  The first 7 miles took me 30 minutes – down ‘War Zone Road’.  It’s kind of like driving through a maze as you find the best routes to avoid the worst of the turbulence.  Sometimes you drive on the right side, sometimes the middle and sometimes on the left side.  Crazy!
  • Before I got to ‘War Zone Road’ I came upon a locked gate at the intersection of our road and ‘War Zone Road’.  It wasn’t closed or locked when we came through yesterday and no one gave us a combination.  Thankfully there was a truck not far behind me and they knew the code (and gave it to me as well) and I was on my way once again.
  • At the very end of Cameron Rd where it meets highway 97 there is a place that advertises lodging, food, ice, etc.  We thought it might be a place to check out if we needed anything.  I decided to pull in and check it out as it is set way back off the road.  Unfortunately, the place is abandoned.  Bummer
  • The plus of me pulling in there is that I wouldn’t have seen a small helicopter swoop into the parking lot and park next to a truck that was there.  The truck must have had fuel for the helicopter as I could see the pilot get out and grab a hose from the truck and begin fueling the helicopter.
  • My trip to Pleasanton was a whirlwind!  It took me an hour and a half to get there and then I took about an hour and a half to get my shopping completed.  I zoomed through the store knowing that I had to leave Pleasanton by 2:30 at the VERY latest in order to get back before the gates closed at 4:00 pm and I was locked outside for 3 hours.
  • I quickly drove across town (4 miles or so) to China Garden to get dinner for myself.  Yum!  Before I went inside I placed a phone call to Little Caesars to order pizza for Michael.  My meal was done in no time and I was headed back toward home, stopping to pick up Michael’s pizza on the way.
  • I made better time on the way back home – taking just an hour and 15 minutes to get home.  I got home a little after 3:00 pm and with plenty of time to spare before the gates were closed at 4:00 pm.  Whew!
  • On my way back down ‘War Zone Road’ I spotted about 6 javelina’s on the side of the road.  I tried to get a picture but before I could even get my phone ready they saw me and turned tail and ran into the brush!  Dang it!
  • Michael was pretty busy while I was gone but he managed just fine and was even able to get the booster antenna for our internet set out so that our internet signal is better.
  • We went from averaging about 69 vehicles a day on our last gate to doing 215 vehicles yesterday!  That’s a bit of an increase.  LOL
  • After I got home and settled in Michael took a shower and a couple hour nap to prepare him for his night shift.
  • The gate was closed until 7:00 pm and I worked until 8:00 pm when Michael took over for the night.  I went to bed about 8:30 pm and got up shortly after 5:30 am.  Michael was in bed shortly after I got up.
  • The gate was closed from 5:30 am to 9:00 am so I pretty much had the morning to myself….except for the 3 sand truck drivers that drove up and wanted to leave….sorry!
  • Michael – 3 – Mice – 0
  • During our closing from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm today Michael grilled some burgers.  It was great to not have to worry about tending to traffic or having dust fly around the burgers as vehicles passed by.  I’m liking this ‘closing time’ stuff!

We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??