Can of Spam

Posted by on November 27, 2014

Wednesday 11/26

  • We found when we got here that the previous gate guards hadn’t been logging the rig crew in or out so it looked like we didn’t have hardly anyone down on the pad.  The crew slowly started coming out to go into town for various reasons so we have been ‘re-teaching’ them to slow down so that we can get their information so we can log them in and out.
  • The crew had been in the habit of just driving by and not stopping or slowing down.  But once we explained the reasons behind needing to have the correctly logged information they’re fine with slowing down.
  • One big reason to have the correct numbers and names of those down on the pad is that if something were to happen (explosion, fire, etc) we would have a record of exactly how many people and their names were down on the pad and rescue workers would know who to look for.
  • On our previous Marathon gate we didn’t have to log license plate numbers due to an incident this past summer.  However we had to log the names of each person in every vehicle and upon departure they needed to initial as to whether they’d been hurt while on location or not.  Now that we’re with Encana we are required to log the plate again, but we don’t have to log everyone in the vehicle or have them initial.  We’ve decided to continue logging in everyone in each vehicle for safety purposes.  We find it easier this way as we can just wave the vehicle out once we find their license plate number on the log sheet.
  • One of the drivers going to the facility is from a past gate, nice to see a familiar face.  He recognized us as well and even that we worked for StatOil before.
  • Two of the land owners sons came in yesterday to drop off a new piece of equipment.  The owner has 8 children.  The two that I met today were the youngest of his first marriage, Amadore, who is 48 and Billy Joe, 16, the youngest boy of his third marriage.  Very nice people!
  • Michael’s back started bothering him on Tuesday and by Wednesday morning it was enough that he took one of his muscle relaxers.  His muscle relaxers tend to act like sleeping pills and by noon his was napping in his chair.  By 12:30 I sent him to the bedroom where he’d be comfortable and not be woken up by the bell.  He slept for about 2.5 hours and when he got up he seemed to be getting around a bit better.
  • Can of Spam     <—-  A message from my sassy, web developer, son.  I often type notes about the day as they happen and then at the end of the day type up the day’s post.  Dan houses my blog and was doing some technical behind the scenes stuff last night apparently and decided to leave me a message.  Thought it was worthy of leaving for everyone to enjoy!  LOL

Thursday 11/27 – Happy Thanksgiving!

  • We seem to be working a 6:00 to whenever (somewhere between 4:00 & 6:00) schedule although we’ve never really discussed that.  I went to bed about 8:30 pm last night and then read until about 9:00 pm.  Michael followed a few hours later around 11:00 pm.  I got up at 6:00 am and then Michael followed a few hours later.  I enjoy my quiet time in the morning so it seems to be a good arrangement.
  • The gate is slow enough at night that Michael is able to sleep and just get up when the bell rings.  He’s gotten very good about popping up, grabbing his glasses and greet whoever it is.
  • Once Michael was up I made us a big breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits, gravy, cantaloupe & strawberries.  It was a nice way to start our Thanksgiving day.
  • We watched bits and pieces of the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade…a semi-tradition.
  • The meals Michael brought back from the rig

    The meals Michael brought back from the rig

    Just before noon the Company man called me saying that they had a Thanksgiving meal down on the pad and we were welcome to come down and get a plate.  Michael went down and brought back ham, turkey, stuffing, green beans, sweet potatoes, cranberries, dinner rolls, banana pudding, peach cobbler & pecan pie! Yum!

  • The feast brought to us from the facility guys

    The feast brought to us from the facility guys

    If that wasn’t enough, about 10 minutes after he got back 2 guys  from the central facility behind us brought: ham, turkey, sweet potato casserole, cooked cabbage, rolls, stuffing, black-eyed peas, macaroni & cheese, dirty rice, green bean casserole, dinner rolls, chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, peanut butter cookies, chocolate chocolate chip cookies & pralines!

  • We each enjoyed a plate later in the day and have a TON of food left to enjoy for later meals.  We hadn’t planned on having a traditional Thanksgiving day meal but ended up with one and a bunch of leftovers to enjoy too.  Blessed.
  • The actual land owner, Mr. Molina (72) along with his youngest child, Guadalupe (15) came by this afternoon.  I found out that the actual name of the ranch is the Guadalupe – named for his mother and grandmother.
  • “Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.” - Yiddish Proverb

    “Don’t approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.” – Yiddish Proverb

    The goat herd appeared this afternoon while we were enjoying our meal.  I didn’t realize there were as many as there are….I was able to count 30 and there were still more that I didn’t count!  That’s a lot of goats!

  • Traffic was fairly quiet today – a few guys from the Central Facility, cuttings trucks and a few strays and by 5:00 pm it was pretty quiet.  Since it was nice and quiet we took the opportunity to watch a Showtime movie I’d recorded on the DVR quite a while ago.  Nice way to end an already great day.








2 Responses to Can of Spam

  1. Dave Hromek

    I like it!

We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??