Organization, Firewood & Keys

Posted by on October 22, 2013

Today was my first day at the ‘office’/ranger station.  It’s about 6 miles from the campground, right on US 90.

The lab before project straighten & organize began

The lab before project straighten & organize began

I arrived at 10:00 am and Debra met me at the front desk.  The project for today was to begin working on straightening and organizing the lab.  The lab was originally just that…a lab but is no longer in use and has been turned into a storage room.  However, things haven’t necessarily been stored….more like stuffed.  LOL

Debra had Kenny (one of the techs) remove some odds and ends of furniture and garbage from the room right off the bat. I got to work on a cabinet of volunteer shirts.  They’d been organized 2 years ago by a woman who did the same thing I’m doing but it hadn’t been maintained since then.  There were tons of new shirts that had been ordered since that time but never folded, just stuck in the cabinet.  So

The shelving unit I worked on today

The shelving unit I worked on today

that’s where the majority of my day went…folding shirts and reorganizing that cabinet.  Everything is nicely labeled and easy to get at.  I wasn’t able to finish that cabinet today but will be able to finish it up tomorrow and then start on another shelving unit.

Michael drove me to work because he planned to get some wood at a mill, Cochran Forest Products, near Lake City.  He’d been told by some campers that he could get a truck load of

Wood ready to split, stack and throw in a fire!

Wood ready to split, stack and throw in a fire!

cut-offs that work well for firewood for $10.00.  He filled up the bed of the truck to heaping so we should be good for quite a while!  Now we just have to wait for it to cool off some more so that a campfire will be enjoyable.

Since I wasn’t sure if I was actually working today or just going in for a meeting I didn’t take a lunch.  Thankfully, I have a very loving husband who stopped at the little bitty store in Olustee and got us each a bbq pork sandwich and fries.  We at lunch in the truck out in the parking lot of the ranger station.

If that wasn’t enough….2 hours later he came back to the ranger station to pick me up at the end of the day!  It’s been 28 1/2 years and I still think he’s a keeper!

Keys!!  Woohoo!

Keys!! Woohoo!

We also got our set of keys today.  They include keys to our shed, the bathhouse, gatehouse, maintenance shed, etc.  Michael had been wanting to get into our shed so that he can store some stuff in there.  I guess now that we have keys, we’re official!

We worked together to make dinner, which was very nice.  We had Hamburger Steaks with Onion Gravy, a nice easy meal.  Since ground beef is one of Michael’s favorites it’s a good meal for him.  Since the recipe makes enough for 4 patties, I’m able to freeze 2 and have a really easy meal in the future….all I have to do is make some more gravy and some side dishes!

It finally rained today!  It started raining about 1:00 pm and continued off and on for most of the afternoon and into the evening!  I’m hoping that it will rain tonight while we’re in bed as I love to hear the raindrops pitter-patter on the roof…it’s so soothing.


3 Responses to Organization, Firewood & Keys

  1. Nonna

    Great job! They put the right person for the job of organizing.

    • Kelly

      Nonna! So glad to here from you. Hope you and Steve are doing well.

      • Nonna

        Doing great. Have another grandbaby which makes 5! 4 boys and 1 girl. Keep up the good work. I read your blog all the time to keep up with you two.

We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??