On The Move: Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, AL To Capitol City RV Park, Montgomery, AL

Posted by on April 29, 2012

We pulled out of Gulf State Park at about 12:45 pm.  We stopped in Foley, Alabama (just 14 miles down the road) for lunch at Lambert’s Cafe – Home of the throwed rolls.  We’ve wanted to stop at Lambert’s for years as we used to drive by one in Missouri when we’d drive back and forth from Wisconsin to Arkansas and just never got around to it.  So when we learned that one of the three restaurants was on our route home we made a point to stop.  We were not disappointed.  Our food was excellent, service was super and the entertainment was a hoot!  Besides getting the dinner that you order servers come by with ‘pass-arounds’ – fried okra, macaroni & tomatoes, boiled cabbage, black-eyed peas, fried taters & onions plus apple butter and molasses to go on those famous ‘throwed rolls’!  The rolls were huge and tasty – Michael caught 2 for us to share!  My hero!  Our server ‘got’ Michael when he pretended to spill a soda in Michael’s lap…haven’t seen Michael move that fast in ages!  Ha!

Lambert's - Foley, Alabama

Throwin' rolls!

Looks like he likes his job!

I ordered pork chops, sweet potato, green beans & cottage cheese. I also tried fried okra, potatoes and onions and of course the rolls!

Michael ordered meatloaf, mashed taters, baked beans & corn and also tried fried okra, potatoes & onions and black-eyed peas

After enjoying our lunch (1/2 of which we each brought home) we were back on the road – but stopped not too far down the road at a Love’s Truck Stop so that Michael could put air in the coach tires so that they are completely aired up when he completes the installation of the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.  He tried airing up the tires this morning at the campground using 2 different compressors but it just didn’t want to work – it took him forever to fill one tire!  So he gave up and decided to get it done at a truck stop.  We also filled up with diesel while we were there.

The rest of the trip was uneventful except for a 30 minute delay when the traffic was at a near stand still.  We thought there might have been an accident but saw no evidence of it and there was no construction going on either…who knows?

We pulled into home-base Montgomery just before 7:00 pm and after messing with a temperamental Level-Up system were set up inside & out (including the satellite dish) and in our recliners about an hour later.  It usually only takes between 30 and 45 minutes to complete our tasks…but today was the exception.

We want to hear from you...whatcha got to say??